- Who we are
- What We Do
- Support Us
The Catherine House Women’s Centre was established in 2006 and is a Trauma Informed Care recovery setting that provides a safe space for women to build relationships, learn and engage in activities that support their health, wellbeing, confidence and recovery journey.
The Catherine House Women’s Centre creates a positive environment that encourages women to take healthy ‘risks’, try something new, extend their vision of what is possible for them, to build confidence and self-efficacy. It is a space for women to gently engage at their own pace with others and in activities. All of which provides therapeutic respite from the effects of crisis and trauma, helping to build upon capacity and resilience.
Since its opening, there have been more than 40,000 attendances, and an average of 700 activities delivered every year.
The Centre features a kitchen, offices, computer room with printing and internet facilities, outdoor gardens and a large multi-purpose room for activities and courses delivered at the centre.
Activities delivered at the Women’s Centre are facilitated by Volunteers who share their knowledge, skills and experience. Courses delivered at the Women’s Centre are facilitated by professional and highly experienced paid Tutors.
Activities and courses include:
- Self-awareness and physical fitness activities such as yoga and low impact exercise
- Art courses which explore different art techniques while learning the principles of incorporating colour and texture and opportunity for exhibitions
- Music courses, with singing, drama, movement, ukulele playing and performances
- Live Your Best Life & Plan For Your Future Educational course exploring personal strengths and building future goals in study and work
- Craft and Beading
- Computer and IT skills Tutoring
- ESL (English as a Second Language) Tutoring
- Numeracy and Literacy Tutoring
- Creative Cooking Classes
- Basic Hairdressing services
- A range of come and try sessions which include dance therapy, public speaking workshops, afternoon teas and employment service support with resume building and interviews
- Opportunity to attend the centre for free time and access to the computer room.
Emma – Women’s Centre Client
“The Women’s Centre is my safe place. It is warm, friendly and a welcoming environment. I feel this every time I walk through the door. On days when I am feeling a bit down, lonely or isolated it is comforting to know that there is a safe and familiar place for me to go; even if it’s just for a coffee and a chat.”
Tess – Women’s Centre Client
“It’s hard to describe what a special and unique place the Women’s Centre is, but you can feel it the moment you walk through the door. There is a certain energy created by the thousands of women, from all walks of life, who have used the space to rebuild their lives.
Women who have lost everything are given the time and space to build confidence, see their potential and look to the future.”