Emergency Program 


Catherine House offers crisis housing through the Emergency Program, which provides accommodation for up to three months for women experiencing homelessness. Referrals are accepted from all sources, including homelessness services, hospitals, SAPOL, or directly from the woman seeking accommodation.

The program is staffed 24/7 and provides full board and lodging for up to 20 clients.


Clients who stay in the Emergency Program will work with a case worker to address key presenting issues and work towards finding accommodation on exit from the emergency program and exploring longer term accommodation goals. Each client is provided with her own room, with shared bathroom and lounge/dining facilities. Rent is calculated per client as a percentage of income, up to a maximum of 30% of the income received by clients, plus rent assistance received and an additional board component.


Working closely with the Emergency Program staff is a Catherine House DASSA clinician, who is available to support any clients currently experiencing drug or alcohol issues. To further support clients, a legal team and a GP visits weekly in additions to other services. A number of partnerships exists to assist women with other health and housing needs.


Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to share a room?

A. No, rooms are individual. Bathrooms, lounge and dining facilities are shared


Does my room lock?

A. Yes, all rooms can be locked


Can I have visitors?

A. Visitors, including children, are not allowed on site


Can my children come with me?

A. Our facilities are not suitable for children and hence we are funded for adult women only.  If you are homeless and have children with you please call the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308.


How many rooms do you have?

A. There are a total of 20 rooms.


Do you have counselling available?

A. Case workers will be able to suggest appropriate counselling services. The Catherine House DASSA clinician offers counselling as part of her work in relation to drug and alcohol use. A practitioner from Links to Wellbeing also visits fortnightly for individual counselling with clients.


How long can I stay?

A. You can stay up to 3 months.


What services are offered?

A. There is a wide range of services available including case management, access to a visiting legal team, a drug and alcohol clinician, education coach and health, wellbeing and education related courses. The site is staffed 24/7 and t  here is a housekeeping team which provides full board including 3 meals per day.


Will someone help me find my own accommodation when I am there?

A. Case work staff will work with each client on available housing options and applications. A case plan is developed for all clients.

Clients are expected to work with staff  in order to achieve their goals, including both short and longer term housing goals.


How much rent do I have to pay?
A. Rent is a percentage that is calculated according to the income received by clients, up to a maximum of 30%, plus rent assistance received by clients.  There is also an additional board component.


Will I get rent assistance?
A. The majority of clients are eligible for rent assistance as determined by Centrelink.


Do I need to provide my own linen?
A. No, we provide toiletries, linen, towels and nightwear.


Can I go out?
A. Yes, clients can go out as they please, however there is a night time curfew.


Do you have a washing machine?
A. There are laundry facilities on site.


Do I have to provide my own food and cook for myself?
A. All food is provided and prepared by the housekeeping team. 


Do I have to stay in every night?
A. Clients are able to stay out each Friday night, and occasionally other nights by negotiation with their case worker.